Thursday, July 10, 2008

July 10th

Wow!! I don't even know how to describe today. Todaoy was the day we went to the Great Barrier Reef. We had to take an hour and a half boat ride to the reef. Well, it was a little bumpy. Ok, it was a lot bumpy. A lot of people got seasick. After about 15 minutes on the boat, my barf bag had been used; followed by several other people on the boat. but in the end, it was definitely worth it.

When we first got there, we waited around and ate at the lunch buffet. You can guarantee we stuffed ourselves with the free food (well we had already paid for it in our ticket price) and made sure we wouldn't be hungry again soon. The only difference about their food, is that they have a lot more healthy foods; and definitely more fresh. But they did have whole shrimps. EWWW!! They had eyes and everything!!

After lunch, we were free to go snorkeling, or take various boats rides to view the coral. I started off taking a boat ride, where I was submerged underneath the water ( but I was still in the boat). This gave me a better look at the coral and the fish. I wish you could have all seen it. It was remarkable. It seemed like it came right out of Finding Nemo, except it was not as colorful. Afterwards, I went snorkeling. Outside of the water was very cold. You definitely needed a jacket. I was a little nervous getting into the freezing water, but once I got in, I realized it wasn't that bad. So I got to snorkel and view the Great Barrier Reef. Which is, by the way, one of the seven wonders of the world. I saw this fish, which was about a foot long, and very pretty. It was a bright blue and bright green, with purple dots on it. I wish I could've got a picture. but unfortunately, my camera is not waterproof. Also, there were schools of fish that people were swimming with. This was quite a site from the boat. Taylor O, Brett, Andrew, and Alex L got to swim with a sea turtle ( I named him Crush.) And some even got their picture with him. They were really excited abou this! But I would too, it's not everyday you see a sea turtle, or the Great Barrier Reef for that matter.

We took the boat back to shore and walked someplace to eat. A large group went to the mall, which is where we were told was the cheap food. I had a nice meal from Burger King for $4.50. Still kind of expensive, but I will manage. Everything else was much pricier. Then we walked around the mall, window shopping, knowing we couldn't afford the clothes in there. Although Melissa found a cute top on sale. :)

At 9:00 pm we all gathered for mass in a small room again. We made our plans for tomorrow, which consists of lounging around and going to a Cathedral. Then, most people did their laundry. It was $6 to wash and dry one load. I was very impressed with the boys' capability to use a washer and dryer, and to fold clothes. So moms, this could be a new chore for them!!

We are all looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow. It should be a day of relaxing and just spending time with our friends. It should be fun!! More to come later!

2 comments:

Andy's mom said...

Great job blogging! It is so much fun to read what you have been doing. Andy touching the sea turtle--that's pretty cool.

Lynn Lustig said...

Swimming with a sea turtle!?! That's VERY cool Alex! Did he talk with a surfer boy accent? Ha! And you can thank Allie for the extra cash in your account….didn’t want you to go cold & hungry. ;) All of you have a safe trip back to Sydney tomorrow!