Monday, July 14, 2008

July 13

Sunday, July 13th

I fell asleep early last night, so I did not get the chance to blog. But I wrote it all down... So here's what happened on Sunday!

We began the day as all good Catholics begin Sundays. By going to Mass. We walked down to the Cathedral of St. Mary's. It wasn't as packed as I had expected, but it still wasn't especially easy to find seats for 25. But we managed. I couldn't see the Bishop at all from my seat, but I did have a view of the TV screen. Unfortunately for me, I was in a pew that had no kneelers. My knees were killing by the end of the mass.

In mass, there were a group of young people (obviously here for WYD) that were sitting by me. I shook there hands at mass, and they did not speak English. I think they were German, but I could be wrong. After mass, they waved goodbye to me! I looks like making friends here could be easy.

After mass, we walked and walked and walked! We first walked by the Library and some monument for a meeting spot. Then we headed toward the Opera House. We all got a view of the outside and the main lobby for free. Those who wanted to see more are paying $33 for an hour tour tomorrow morning.

After the Opera House, we took a ferry boat to the zoo. To me, a zoo is a zoo. If you've seen one, then you've seen them all. The only exceptions were the kangaroos and the koalas.

On the way back to the hotel, we stopped and watch an Aboriginie play on his digeriedoo's. These are long wooden musical instruments. They actually sound really cool with music playing behind it. :)

It was a long way back to the hotel, so me and the boys I was (were??) with stopped and ate at Subway. Originial, I know! But they have a deal there. A football long meatball sub was on $5.95. David was very upset that they didn't have banana peppers. And all of the boys have continued to be mad that no one here has free refills!

We all met in Fr. Chris' room at 6:30 pm for a prayer meeting. These rooms are a lot bigger, so fitting 25 people in them was not quite as much of a task as in Cairns. We discussed what we'd be doing the next day. 20 of us decided to go to the Blue Mountains in Katoomba. Everyone else decided to stay back to go to the aquarium or the Botanical Garden or whatever they find. I chose the Blue Mountains because it was $16.80 round trip on a train for a 2 hour ride each way.

Oh, and as I was writing this all down, I realized that you may not all want to know what I have been doing. So I decided to interview some people about what they did last night.

Andy went to the Imax to buy movie tickets to see Batman. They are $18 each for a 2 1/2 hour movie. I don't believe the movie comes out in American for another couple days! I'll put the ending on the blog!! Haha. Just kidding!

Brett went to the mall with Fr. Daren to use the Internet. He likes to email back and forth with his wife and daughter! He is a very dedicated dad!

That's about it for Sunday...
Thanks for reading! And don't be afraid to comment!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

we're enjoying reading the blogs. it makes us feel like we're right there with you. many people back in illinois are anxiously reading them. you have our prayers and support as you head to WYD tomorrow.