Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wednesday, July 16th

Hey again!! Everything is going very well here. We still have everyone accounted for. And no one is in the hospital. So I hope that is comforting to you!

On Wednesday, we all got up on our own, and hung out until about 11:30. Taylor and I went shopping for breakfast food. Several others went to the computers or just slept in. At 11:30 we had mass in Fr. Chris' room. His homily was about how we need to follow God's plan for us. And if we are running into walls, we need to find a different way out. We have done a lot of that here, so the homily hit the spot for most of us.

After mass, we went our own ways. Jordan, Taylor, and I went around downtown in search for a camera store. Jordan unfortunately lost his, so we helped him find a new one! It is very nice!

At 3:00, a large group went to see Batman at the Imax. I did not go, because I am not one to see action movies like that. And it was $20. I thought the movies in Effingham were expensive!! Those that went said it was awesome and said that we really missed out. But meanwhile, I was busy going around the town looking for new places to shop at. Taylor and I stopped at a small church that was nearby. It looked really old, but was very pretty in a simple way.

Once 6:00 rolled around, we all met on the bridge outside our hotel. From here, we decided to go the Praise and Worship down below. It was a bunch of different bands playing Christian music. My favorite was the Italian group that played heavy metal. Taylor and I were having a blast dancing with our new friends from St. Louis. Everyone else seemed to leave after they got their food. What fun is that?? Taylor and I wanted to meet so many people. And we met people from South Dakota, Missouri, Australia, Lebanon, Italy, and more!! It's amazing how we can all come together to Sydney. We walked around for hours, and didn't see anyone twice. It's overwhelming! There are so many people here. The different groups fill the streets with songs from their country. And the Aussie's run around shouting their "Aussie Aussie Aussie" chant. I love it! But when we met the St. Louis people, it was really nice to talk to them about the Cardinals. I haven't met many people who know who they are. And a lot of people from the states don't even know who Dee Brown is. We have to try and describe where we live and we tell them by the University of Illinois, where Dee Brown played for. And they don't know who he is!! Isn't that wild?? But I guess not everyone watches college basketball. :(

Anyway, after the music, everyone started leaving. So Taylor and I headed back to the hotel to get some sleep. It was much needed after a day spent walking everywhere!

On Thursday, the Pope is going to be coming. There are going to be more people than ever! I can't wait!

Chao for now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet that was comforting for you, Allie, meeting someone who knew the cardinals like you. Have fun on Thursday and don't forget to get my picture blessed.

Myra said...

Sounds like you all are having a lot of fun. Allie, keep up the great posts. It is my only connection with what is going on!! (Let Taylor know that was a hint!!) I saw Katie last week. She said she missed you a lot!!, but I distracted her with some laffy taffy.
Myra